USA: Deployment of the National Guard at the Capitol costs hundreds of millions

The deployment of the National Guard to secure the Capitol in Washington is expected to cost just under $ 500 million by mid-March. So far, 284 million has been estimated for personnel and another 199 million for general operational costs, said Defense Department spokesman John Kirby.

The National Guard had moved to reinforce local security forces after the forcible storming of the Capitol by supporters of then President Donald Trump on January 6th. As a result, more than 20,000 soldiers were temporarily active in the capital Washington. The security measures around the Capitol, the seat of the US Congress, have been significantly strengthened since then.

A Pentagon spokesman said that around 6,200 National Guard soldiers were currently deployed to ensure security in Washington. The newspaper “Washington Post” had already reported last week about the costs of the deployment of the National Guard. At the time, however, the Pentagon did not comment on the cost.

Icon: The mirror

USA: Trump lawyers describe impeachment as “political theater”

USA: Trump lawyers describe impeachment as “political theater”

foreign countries USA

Trump attorneys call impeachment “political theater”

Stand: 08.02.2021 | Reading time: 3 minutes

The second impeachment proceedings against Trump entered the hot phase this Tuesday with the start of negotiations in the Senate The second impeachment proceedings against Trump entered the hot phase this Tuesday with the start of negotiations in the Senate

The second impeachment proceedings against Trump entered the hot phase this Tuesday with the start of negotiations in the Senate

What: REUTERS

Donald Trump’s lawyers are calling for the 74-year-old’s lawsuit to be dismissed immediately before the impeachment process. The procedure is not lawful. Prosecutors call the evidence against the former president “overwhelming”.

Dhe lawyers of Donald Trump have again called the impending impeachment proceedings against the former US president in the Senate unconstitutional. In a statement released on Monday, the defense lawyers called for the immediate dismissal of the case against the Republican, which had been decided by the Democratic-controlled House of Representatives.

The lawyers argue in the 75-page document, among other things, that the process is not lawful because Trump is no longer in office. You accuse the Democrats of putting on “political theater”.

The House of Representatives Democratic prosecutors, however, called the evidence against Trump “overwhelming.” There is no defense for his actions, it said in her statement on the day before the start of the Senate hearing on Tuesday. “Trump violated his oath of office and betrayed the American people. His incitement to rebellion against the United States government – which has disrupted the peaceful transfer of power – is the gravest constitutional crime ever committed by a president. “

also read

Refuses to testify under oath: Donald Trump. But no matter what the outcome of the proceedings against him, he doesn't have to go to prison.

The ex-president is accused of “inciting a riot” because his supporters stormed the Capitol on January 6th. The 74-year-old is accused of inciting his supporters to the riots immediately before at a rally in Washington. Trump had said in his address, among other things: “If you do not fight like the devil, you will have no more land.”

Trump lawyers rely on free speech

Trump’s defense lawyers argue that the then president only called for a fight for the general security of elections. In addition, his address was covered by the right to freedom of speech enshrined in the constitution. The prosecutors vehemently deny this. In their statement on Monday it said the House of Representatives had not indicted Trump “because he expressed an unpopular political opinion”.

In their indictment, the Democrats are demanding not only a conviction but also a federal ban on Trump. That could thwart any Trump candidacy in the 2024 presidential election. The two-thirds majority necessary for a conviction is not in sight: 17 Republicans would have to vote with the 50 Democrats.

also read

WELT author Bari Weiss was the opinion editor of the "New York Times"

A vote on a question about the admissibility of the trial had revealed that only a handful of Republicans were considering voting for a conviction.

The Democrats argue that the trial against the ex-president is lawful because it concerns misconduct during his tenure. They also point out that the House of Representatives had already decided to open the procedure on January 13th – before Trump left office.

The second impeachment proceedings against Trump entered the hot phase this Tuesday with the start of negotiations in the Senate. The deliberations should take a few days. The exact rules for the procedure and a schedule should be published at the beginning.

Republican Ron Wright: US MP dies after corona infection

Republikaner Ron Wright


US MP dies after corona infection

In January, the US MP Ron Wright found out about his corona infection, now the chairman of the parliamentary chamber announces the death of the 67-year-old. The virus wasn’t the only disease the Republicans had to fight against, however.

A member of the US House of Representatives, Republican Ron Wright, has died after being infected with the coronavirus. This was announced by the chairwoman of the Chamber of Parliament, Nancy Pelosi. The 67-year-old MP from the state of Texas said on January 21 that a corona test had turned out positive for him. Wright leaves three children and nine grandchildren, Pelosi announced.

US media reported, citing a statement from Wright’s office, that both the MP and his wife Susan were recently hospitalized for the coronavirus-related disease Covid-19. Wright had been undergoing medical treatment for cancer for years. He first moved into the House of Representatives in 2018.

Before that, at the end of December, the Republican MP Luke Letlow from the state of Louisiana, who was elected in the US election on November 3, died after being infected with the corona virus. At this point in time, however, he had not yet been sworn in as a member of parliament.

Hollywood union follows up: Trump banned for life

Hollywood union follows up


Trump banned for life

In order to forestall his expulsion, Donald Trump himself left the Hollywood union a few days ago. “Who cares!” He railed in his farewell letter. SAG-AFTRA gratefully accepts the resignation – and is now handing it out one last time against the ex-US president.

Donald Trump has lost it with the Hollywood union “Screen Actors Guild – American Federation of Television and Radio Artists” (SAG-AFTRA). After he had announced his resignation last Thursday, the union around President Gabrielle Carteris has now stepped up again. She banished the former US president for life. A resumption is excluded.

“Preventing Donald Trump from ever rejoining SAG-AFTRA is more than a symbolic step,” said a statement from Carteris on the Hollywood union website. Trump’s banishment is “an unequivocal declaration that threats or incitement to harm against other members will not be tolerated. An attack against one is an attack against everyone.”

SAG-AFTRA justified the 74-year-old’s lifelong exclusion mainly with Trump’s “hostility towards journalist members” and his “disregard for the values ​​and integrity of the union”. The disciplinary proceedings against Trump began in mid-January after he had been instrumental in the storming of the Capitol as the outgoing US President. He has been a member of the union since 1989.

Trump: “Wen kümmert’s!”

In order to forestall his expulsion, Trump left the union on his own on Friday. “Who cares!” It said in his letter published by the union. He “no longer wants to be associated” with SAG-AFTRA. Nevertheless, he was disappointed with the disciplinary process. He was indignant that he “helped the cable news television business (which was supposedly a dying platform and didn’t have much time before I got into politics) a lot, creating thousands of jobs for networks like MSDNC and fake news CNN.”

Trump also described the process as a “blatant attempt” by SAG-AFTRA to “attract media attention in order to distract from your miserable record as a union. You did nothing for me,” the 74-year-old ranted. A response to his resignation apparently followed promptly. As the broadcaster Fox News first reported, the drama union commented on Trump’s farewell with two simple words: “Thank you very much.”

Alps: famous mountain climber killed by avalanche – news abroad

He conquered one of the highest mountains on earth. Now he was killed by an avalanche.

The famous Italian mountaineer Carlalberto Cimenti, known as “Cala”, died in the Alps. The 45-year-old and a friend were found dead under two meters of snow in the Upper Susa Valley in the Italian Alps, as Italian media reported on Monday, citing rescue workers.

Fans of “Cala” published messages of condolence on the Facebook page of his alpinism company. Among other things, Cimenti became famous in 2019 for climbing the more than 8,000 meter high Nanga Parbat in the Himalayas. The Nanga Parbat is one of the highest mountains in the world.

In the summer of 2019, Cimenti was also involved in the dramatic rescue of an alpinism colleague who had crashed in Pakistan at a height of more than 6,000 meters and was seriously injured.