The meeting sought to verify the health status of the arrested Colombian citizens, most of them former members of the Army, and to offer them the possibility of communicating with their families through a letter.

“Together with the attorney for the Public Defender’s Office, they were asked about some key elements of the process that is currently being carried out against them,” explained Fajardo, head of the humanitarian commission that the government of Iván Duque sent to Port-au-Prince, the Haitian capital.

Fajardo must now make a report that will be sent to the Colombian authorities, and to the OAS itself.


According to the site of the Bogotá newspaper El Espectador, the meeting was possible after the intervention of the Secretary General of the OAS, Luis Almagro, in the face of complaints from Colombia about the impossibility of accessing its citizens.

The event generated a crossroads of responsibilities: the Haitian authorities alleged that the appropriate procedures had not been carried out for the permit granted in these cases by the Ministry of Justice, and Colombia said that it had been requested through the Foreign Ministry and the embassy in Bogota from the Caribbean country “by note verbale on July 16, without a response” yet.

In parallel, a diplomatic letter known today shows Bogotá’s demand for Haiti to comply with “the moral and legal obligation to protect the detainees who are under its jurisdiction,” according to the terms in which Vice Chancellor Marta Lucía Ramírez wrote to him. to the Haitian ambassador in Bogotá, Jean Mary Exil.


A consular mission that was in Port-au-Prince in recent days “revealed irregularities” in the process and, according to the Foreign Ministry, some detainees suffered injuries without receiving adequate care.

“We demand that the perpetrators of these behaviors that are harmful to their rights be investigated and punished,” Ramírez said in his letter, reported by the AFP agency.

.