For this healthy side dish recipe, kale bundles are grilled and topped with an easy sauce. “Enhancing” store-bought barbecue sauce with tart (or sour) cherry juice to make a drizzle nudges this side dish into the speedy category.
- 2 tablespoons barbeque sauce
- 1 tablespoon tart or sour cherry juice
- 1 tablespoon sour cherry preserves
- ½ teaspoon jarred adobo sauce or ¼ teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
- 1 pound kale, stems trimmed to 3 inches
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Stir together barbecue sauce, cherry juice, preserves and adobo sauce (or ground chipotle) in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on High until warm, about 1 minute. Set aside.
- Divide kale into 4 bundles and tie each with kitchen string about 1 inch from the stem end. Brush the bundles with oil.
- Grill the kale, turning once, until slightly charred, about 6 minutes total. Serve the kale drizzled with the reserved sauce.